NZ PM rushes world’s most extreme abortion legislation into lawNew Zealand MPs have introduced the most extreme abortion law in the world after the Abortion Legislation Bill passed its third reading in Parliament.
The bill passed by 68 votes to 51 – a much narrower margin than at the first and second reading.
The new law will mean that New Zealand has the most extreme abortion law in the world, this will include:
- Abortion will now be available de facto on-demand, for any reason, up to birth
- Sex-selective abortion will be legalised
- The current 20 week limit for disability-selective abortion will be scrapped and abortion will be available up to birth for disabilities including cleft lip, club foot and Down syndrome
- There will be no requirement that a doctor must be involved with providing an abortion
- There will be no legal requirement that babies born alive after a ‘failed’ abortion are given medical support
- There will be no legal requirement that pain relief be given to babies being aborted between 20 weeks and birth
- There will be no legal restrictions on controversial methods of abortion such as intact dilation and extraction abortions (also knows as partial-birth abortions)
Source material in full